This blog is meant to help you determine which work at home job or program is for you. I am not making any determinations on whether or not a particular program is a scam. I am simply giving you the information to make that call for yourself.

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Medical Transcription

Medical Transcription is a legitimate job that allows you to make money and in some cases you can do this from home. 
Doctors dictate a lot of their patient notes into a tape recorder and then the transcriptionist listens to those notes and types them up.  The transcriptionist will generally use a dictation machine to do this. 
To be successful in this type of work you need to have a good knowledge of medical terminology, the english language and great typing skills. 
There are a number of schools who will teach you these things and also how to use the dictation machine.  Taking these courses will not guarantee you a job.  In fact most places want you to have experience as well.  Of course this is the typical catch 22, you can't get a job without experience and you can't get the experience without a job. 
Some people will volunteer their services and prove themselves.  Others network and wait for an opportunity.  There are ways to make it happen.  Get a job in a doctors office or hospital for instance until a transcription job comes open.  In fact I worked in a podiatrists office at one time and I remember their transcriptionist had to take maternity leave and I volunteered.  I had never done transcription, never used a dictation machine or anything even close.  I taught myself how to use the machine which was fairly easy and I already knew most of the terminology from working in the office.   If this had been a career choice that I wanted to persue it would have been just that easy to get started. 
I don't know if you actually need to take any of the courses to do this type of work in your area but the American Association of Medical Transcriptionists has a great website with lots of information.  You should definately spend some time here if this is an area you are thinking of persuing: 
 
 
 
Ipsos 
 
 
 
Powered By Qumana

No comments: